Sunday, February 7, 2010

A Special Place for the Cards

Card boxes. When I first got engaged one of the first things I knew that I wanted was a rocking card box. I had no idea about the card box trends of today until I decided to cruise eBay for one. I saw all these beautiful card boxes that appeared to be gift boxes all dolled up. I was like, "I have to have this"! When I decided to become a damask bride, I started looking for them on eBay as there are a lot of sellers on there who make them.

I immediately was taken back by the prices. Upwards of almost one hundred dollars! Whew! Does it really cost that much in time and supplies to create one of these beauties!?! Geesh! A DIYer true to heart, I set out to find out just that.

First stop Michael's for paper mache boxes. None big enough. Next stop JoAnn Fabrics and Crafts. There I found everything that I needed:

1. A set of three paper mache boxes - $9.99 with half off coupon $4.50
2. Damask Fabric - half a yard $2.50
3. White glitter satin - half a yard $1.00
4. Black glitter satin - half a yard $1.00
5. Apple red glitter ribbon - $5 for a spool
6. Rhinestone trim - one yard $2.99
7. Apple red satin ribbon - I already had this in my possession from other projects
8. Glue gun - I previously owned
9. Glue sticks - I already had
10. Crafter's knife - I already owned

First I wrapped each box and lid with the fabrics that I had purchased. The smallest box or top box was wrapped in the white satin, the second largest or middle box was wrapped in the damask and the largest or bottom box was wrapped in the black satin. Easy enough!

Next I flipped the middle box onto its side and on the inside I drew out a slot for the cards and then using my crafter's knife I cut the slot out. Note: Scissors will not work for this part.

Then I glued all the tops down to their bottoms.

Next I placed a drop of glue on each of the bottom corners of the middle box and placed it centered on top of the bottom box. I did the same with the top box and placed it centered on top of the middle box. It was starting to take shape!!

Then I took the rhinestone trim and glued it around the top box just under the lid line. Cut off the excess.

The next thing I did was add the apple glitter ribbon taking it all the way around the boxes and fastening it to the center of the top box with glue. I did this the other way as well however, this time I fastened the ends just inside the card slot with glue. With the remaining apple glitter ribbon, I made a bow and fastened it to the middle of the top box with glue. I used the excess rhinestone trim to embellish the bow.

Last but certainly not least, I used the apple red satin ribbon to trim the card slot.

And thus was the creation of my very special DIY card box....





As you can see this beauty cost me nowhere near $100 dollars to create. The next time you run across that thing that you just have to have, I encourage to to try to do it yourself before you spend that jaw dropping amount of money.

2 comments: